EMERGENCY CAR BREAKDOWN KIT

Saturday 4 April 2015

I LOVE BEING ORGANISED as most of you can already tell from my BABYSITTER BOX post & my A YEAR OF DATES. I hate to be caught out if there is an emergency situation. 

I passed my driving test at 38 weeks pregnant. Driving around with a newborn baby when you're inexperienced is TERRIFYING! I really didn't want to EVER be caught in a situation where i'd be broken down or stuck somewhere with no food or nappies. So I made this EMERGENCY CAR KIT... 

I made this kit nearly a year ago & although it is 'incase of breakdown', I've used it so much: when I have forgotten nappies, or baby milk, or even when I've found myself in a traffic jam & been desperate for something to eat for myself.

Our kit includes:

BABY ESSENTIALS
Nappies, wipes, sacks, a change of clothes for Evie, formula, a food pouch, spoon, medicine & a muslin square.

OTHER ESSENTIALS:
Plasters, nurofen, ear plugs, duct tape, tissues, lip balm, torch, tampons, waterproof coat (the plastic throwaway one you can get from mountain warehouse), a pen, sellotape, duct tape, camping cutlery, kitchen towel, water bottle, nutrigrain bars.
ALSO IN THE BOOT:
Jump leads, a petrol can

Some of it may seem non-essential. But the amount of times I've been desperate for lip balm, or I've forgotten to write a card or wrap a present & needed a pen & some sellotape! Everything in this box has a purpose for my family. In summer I will be putting some mini suncream in the boot & a spare sun hat for Evie. I always forget things like this! Everything fits snuggly into this cute little box from Card Factory. The little zip bags are travel bags from boots & were £8 for a pack of three. We have put her nappy essentials in one of these, so it's so much easier to take around if we need to!

What do you think about an 'Emergency Car Breakdown Kit'? Do you have one? Is there any essentials that you would add to it?

This post is linked with...
Binky LinkyMummascribbles

Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

28 comments

  1. I think this is such a great idea! I love the items you put in, very practical and smart. I'm going to make a kit of my own #brilliantblogposts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! We've found that we use it all the time, even if we don't break down. My other half thought it was such a silly idea but he ALWAYS forgets Evie's nappy bag when we go out. I laugh every time he has to go into the Emergency Kit because he knows now that I was right to put it in. x

      Delete
  2. What a fab idea, I'd never thought of having an emergency car breakdown kit like that before. Will def be making one now though :D xx

    #brilliantblogposts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Honestly, it comes in so much handy even if you're just having a forgetful day. Really gives you peace of mind when you're out with the little ones. There is nothing worse than getting somewhere not near a shop & realising you have no baby food/nappies. xxx

      Delete
  3. Loved this! I think I will have to make my own version also! #brilliantblogposts

    Dana @ www.thehighchairdiaries.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! We've used it so much, even if we haven't broken down! It gives you so much peace of mind when you're out with your little ones because you've got back ups of everything! :-) xx

      Delete
  4. Fab idea! And I love that the box so is so pretty too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was only from the card factory & was 99p or something silly like that! My partner thinks I could have chosen a different colour though haha. x

      Delete
  5. What a great idea, I am nowhere near organised enough and luckily mine are older now, my emergency kit consists of 2 charged ds's and a bag of jelly babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you're so lucky that you don't need to take around so much anymore! I seriously don't know how my handbag can handle so much baby stuff & not break! I seem to invest in bigger bags every time my handbag gets old. Before I know it I'll end up just getting a wheelie suitcase to go out with x

      Delete
  6. What a fab idea! Its nice to have one less thing to worry about #binkylinky
    Debbie
    www.myrandommusings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It gives you so much peace of mind! There have been so many moments when we've forgotten nappies (or worse...food!) for our little one & have been so thankful for this! :-) x

      Delete
  7. What a great idea great post thanks for linking to the Binkylinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Thank you so much for hosting too! I enjoyed linking up for the first time this week & reading everyone else's amazing posts :-) x

      Delete
  8. Great post! I need to get me one of these! Thanks for linking up to the #BinkyLinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! They're definitely worth making. Especially if you're forgetful. We use it even if we haven't broken down. The amount of times we've forgotten nappies & food & i've been so grateful for this box. x

      Delete
  9. This is a great idea. I'm going to make one at the weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad. They're actually quite fun to make as well. x

      Delete
  10. Brilliant idea and we all should have one. I've often been stuck in a traffic jam starving, so it would be worse if we had broken down. #twinklytuesday xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It is really worth it, especially with little ones. As soon as Evie's a bit older we'll be putting toys in it too, just in case! x

      Delete
  11. What a great idea! We've got a first aid kit in the car but nothing as cool as this! #TwinklyTuesday #BrilliantBlogPosts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Honestly, there is nothing worse than breaking down with a baby. It's really handy to have spare food/milk/nappies. x

      Delete
  12. Uggh you are so organized, I'm jealous!! Seriously, your tips and tricks are amazing, simple and easy to follow. I love that. I will definitely be making one of these. Thanks for sharing! #brilliantblogpost

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And thank you for sharing on twitter. I hope you get to make one. I actually had fun getting all the bits for it, it became a bit addictive haha. xx

      Delete
  13. This is such a fab idea, I absolutely need to make a toddler version of this! It would definitely include a towel and lots of wipes for those times that he's had a cold and cough, got it all stored up in his throat, gagged on it and projectile vomited everywhere! It happened once when I had no wipes or even tissues. I literally had to carry on driving home with him covered in vomit! God it was gross! Thanks so much for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! That's awful! I haven't even thought about using it in a situation like that. You definitely need one then! Evie's just gone one now so we're going to have to change ours up a bit soon. Will probably have to include some emergency toys haha. x

      Delete
  14. Some great tips here! I made myself a 'Just in Case' bag AFTER I had had an emergency trip to the hospital (for myself) and had to have my 5-month-old daughter stay with me. I had run out of nappies before I'd even got through the waiting room. The bag has half a packet of nappies, a packet of wipes, spare clothes (including pjs) and some baby food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I hope you're ok? It's crazy how much you need for them as well. A just in case bag is a really brilliant idea! x

      Delete