A YEAR OF DATES: ROCK CLIMBING

Thursday 23 April 2015

The photos in this post don't do the height of the room & the climbs justice. Rock climbing was terrifying but so much fun!

If you've read my post 'A YEAR OF DATES' you'll know that I have pre-planned dates for me & Jamie, for every month of the year. Jamie is a chef & my daughter & I rarely get to see him anyway, meaning couples time alone is non-existent. (I wrote a post about this HERE)

On Valentines day I asked for the gift of time. Jamie agreed that I could book us in for one surprise date a month for the whole year & he would make sure he'd get the time off. He has no idea what the 12 dates are, but he gets an envelope to open at the start of every month & books the date off work.


March was ROCK CLIMBING.

This was such a good bonding date. We went to Granite Planet Climbing Centre in Penryn, Cornwall. We are newbies so had to book a taster session with an instructor. It was £35 for an hour & a half session with an instructor & also included all the equipment. You can actually have up to four people in a group & it'll still be £35. We just went as a couple but it was worth every penny. Here's Jamie on one of the tallest runs:
I was TERRIFIED. It doesn't look as high up or as hard as you think. It took a lot for me to trust that the ropes were strong & would hold me if I fell. The instructor was really reassuring & made us feel at ease as well as making us challenge ourselves which I was really grateful for. We had to challenge ourselves to climb right to the top using only certain rungs & then touch the ceiling at the top before abseiling back down. I did have a little moment at one point where I was frozen at the top & too scared to let go. But after realising that I'd have to get down at some point, I tried so hard to let go of my fear & actually have fun!
We were taught how to work together & even took over each others ropes so that Jamie & I were responsible for each others climb & general safety. It was such an incredible trust exercise. I literally had to trust Jamie with my life & vice versa. I am so proud of myself for overcoming my fear & completely trusting Jamie & the ropes. Although it did take me falling off & dangling in mid-air to realise this! 

If you live in Cornwall, or are just visiting. I'd definitely recommend having a go at rock climbing! Click HERE for their details.

2 comments

  1. I love this year of dates idea, definitely something that I'd like to do with my hubby, we don't get enough time on our own at all. Not practical for us at the moment because Lia won't settle if I'm not there, but as she gets bigger and we're able to leave her with somebody I'm definitely going to steal this idea ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should definitely do it! We were the same at first, we wouldn't leave Evie for ages. But she's at such a good age for it now. I think it's so beneficial to have that time together, it really brings back that spark & makes you more of a team. :-) I was so scared about leaving Evie though. I went a bit extreme & made a babysitter box so that if someone was looking after her it'd give me peace of mind when I'm out. I hope you get some time together soon. xxx

      Delete