A YEAR OF DATES...

Friday 27 March 2015

How rare is it to get time with your partner when you have a baby? I miss Jamie so much! He is a chef so it was always hard to find time together pre-Evie. Now I am more likely to see the Queen than to spend some time solo with him. (If you date a chef, don't forget to read my post 25 FACTS ABOUT DATING A CHEF).

I really think that it is so important to try & get some baby-free time together. It is amazingly good for your relationship & it even benefits your little ones because you'll come back feeling so refreshed...


Instead of getting each other gifts for Valentines Day this year, Jamie promised me the gift of time. For me, that is the greatest gift of all. I would take it above diamonds & shiny things any day! 

He promised me that he would commit to giving me one day or one evening a month to spend just with him. That may sound like nothing to most of you, but when you're caught up in the hectic-ness of family life & work, you do actually forget that you haven't had any grown up time to talk about the things that you used to & sometimes it's nice to get the chance to walk down the road holding hands instead of pushing buggies or carrying babies. 

It is so easy to make this gift! All you really need is a pen & paper, but you can get super creative with envelopes & your laptop. Your dates don't even need to be expensive! There are so many great ideas, from feeding the ducks, to building a fort. I can think of 100's of free dates so if you're stuck drop me a message!

Our go to is staying in the house with a pizza & a film. I decided to be a bit more creative when I came up with our dates. As much as I love staying in with Jamie but I thought it would be a great opportunity to re-ignite things by doing some dates where we have to 'bond'. It'll also be an amazing chance to make some great memories together doing things we've never done before & also getting to cross things off our bucket list. Here is what I came up with:

I printed this off, cut them up & put them into little envelopes so Jamie can open them each month & find out what activity we're doing. March has been such a hectic month for us, but we will be going rock climbing at the end of this week. I am so excited to spend time with him! All we need to do now is crack out the babysitter box! Click HERE to see how we've created this!
Do you make sure you go on date nights with your partner? What do you think of this idea? Is it something you'd do?

This post is linked with...
Binky LinkyThe List

34 comments

  1. What a fantastic idea. My husband is a personal trainer, so as with you weekends and evenings are really busy.
    We've not been out for probably more than a year on our own!!
    We really need to get US back and this is a great way to do it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. It sounds crazy that you have to schedule time with each other, but it really does work. Last night we had our May date & it was so incredible. We appreciated it so much because it is so rare to have that couple time. It makes you so much closer. Our two rules on our dates are: no baby talk, no work talk. haha xx

      Delete
  2. This is lovely. Me and Hubby try our hardest to do this each month as well but its frustrating as sometimes life just gets in the way. So happy to hear you make time for each other though :) xx
    #wineandboobs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit we didn't actually have time to do the first one (February). We were so busy. I know that might happen in the summer too, but we try so hard to stick to it. xx

      Delete
  3. My husband is a musician, so I hear ya! I need a date night :(
    #wineandboobs
    Alice x
    http://nipperandtyke.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book one in! It's crazy how long you can go without having a date. We went nearly 6 months before we realised we hadn't actually had time together. That's mad! x

      Delete
  4. I love this idea! I completely agree that it's easy to forget to make the time to have dates after the babies are born. Making it a gift for the year is such a great idea!!

    Looking forward to reading more!

    Cindie (visiting from #wineandboobs)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cindie. I think it's so important too because it really keeps you close as a couple & re-ignites that bond, especially after you've had children. xx

      Delete
  5. This is such a good idea!! We struggle to spend any time together since baby arrived, plus I work in the evenings, albeit at home, Im sat at my desk every evening. We've not even been out on a date night since having Taylor 8 months ago. Im thinking this is a great idea I need to put in place!!!
    Im now off to read whats in your babysitter box!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! honestly, it's really worth doing this. It makes us feel so much closer & really gets back that spark/bond that's sometimes strained post baby. it's crazy that lots of us can't even find the time to get one date a month (Even we struggle) but it is worth it. x

      Delete
  6. My Hubby and I love to go on dates. We also do things together in the home for fun...and have family dates.... Sunday's is called Popcorn Sunday in our home and we have picnics in the bed. Angela xx

    Angela recently posted 10 reasons to visit the Blackpool Eye. - Photo List. http://wp.me/p5XRN6-1q6

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so lovely! Oh I am incredibly jealous of your Sundays! What fun. :-D xx

      Delete
  7. What a lovely idea. Beats chocolates and flowers hands down! #binkylinky
    Debbie
    www.myrandommusings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely does! So far they've all been amazingly fun too. I can't wait for archery this month! :-D x

      Delete
  8. Aw, I love this!
    My Husband is also a Chef - seriously rubbish hours for a family right?! This is a lovely list, I should apply this to our relationship too :) sounds like you've got some really awesome dates lined up! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! i am so excited for archery this month! It's really rubbish isn't it! Being in a chef relationship is so testing & trying to get a good work/relationship/baby balance is scarily hard. But I think making sure we have this one day together really strengthens us for the rest of the month. xx

      Delete
  9. This is such a nice idea. If you can get to the end of the year having done all of this you are going to have some amazing memories together. I can only imagine how difficult time would be with your partner being a chef. I would hope you would get some amazing meals whipped up for you though? K x #thelist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately he never has time to cook at home :-( Sometimes in winter if work goes a bit quiet I get a little home cooked treat then :-). So far the only date we haven't done is February, but we moved house this year so it was a bit hectic. i am beyond excited for archery this month. :-D You should try implementing this for you! xx

      Delete
  10. I love getting new date night ideas.

    Great post. #thelist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's so much fun to try new things. xx

      Delete
  11. This is a brilliant idea thanks for linking to the Binkylinky

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a sweet idea. I can't remember the last time, my husband and I had some time together! I think we need to make more of an effort! Thanks for linking up to the #BinkyLinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so important to get alone time! It really brings back that spark & makes your bond so much stronger. It's also nice to walk down the road holding hands. You can't really do that with a baby/buggy x

      Delete
  13. Time is the BEST gift in the world - I'd settle for that. We really need to do this #TheList

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. So much better than anything bought. It is so worth doing. We've found that just one date a month has made us so much closer. It's funny how much your relationship changes after you've had a baby. You forget that you're supposed to spend time together too! :-) x

      Delete
  14. What a brilliant idea, i rarely get any time with my partner either as he works crazy shifts too xx #binkylinky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's crazy how much time passes before you realise you haven't had any couple time together as well. it's well worth doing this! x

      Delete
  15. Such a lovely idea. We've had a couple of date nights recently now our youngest is 1 and I think it's so important!
    #TheList

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. You come back feeling so refreshed & so much closer. x

      Delete
  16. Such a fab idea! So glad you are getting that special time together. Thanks so much for linking up to #TheList x

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely post and a great idea! Sounds like you had some great times together :) Thank you so much for linking on #wineandboobs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And thank you for hosting! x

      Delete