BABYSITTER BOX

Sunday 22 February 2015

I'm due to start back at work really soon and I know that sometimes Jamie's and my work schedule are probably going to clash...

 Not only that, but we also need a date night every now and then (check out my year of dates!and sometimes I just need some time out to myself and to see my friends. So today I've been creating a 'BABYSITTER BOX'.

The last time one of our parents looked after Evie, it was really last minute and there was barely anytime between our reservation and explaining to them EVERYTHING that we needed to. Your child grows so quickly and what was her routine one week can change pretty drastically the next. Not only do you need to explain what your child needs, but you need to let them know how the TV works, where everything is that they might need for your child like nappies and wipes and all the information they might need in case of an emergency.

I've decided to create the 'BABYSITTER BOX' so that anyone who looks after Evie, no matter how short notice, will have all of the information they could possibly need! 

This is SO quick and easy to pull together. Here is the list of what WILL BE in our box;

PRINTABLES: EMERGENCY INFORMATION, EVIE'S ROUTINE
BABY ESSENTIALS: NAPPIES, WIPES, MEDICINE ETC
FOOD AND DRINK FOR THE BABYSITTER
A GUIDE TO OUR HOUSE: HOW TO WORK THE TV ETC

PRINTABLES
Obviously I haven't actually included our REAL information, but this is the 'printable' that I have created with our Emergency Information on. On our actual one, and not the one shown here, I have filled in all the information but left the _ _ _ _ _ _ parts blank. This is because this information will change every time we need a babysitter and we can fill those parts in by hand. I will be printing off several of these and leaving them out so Jamie and I can fill them in at a moments notice and add them to the box.
I felt that it was important to include Evie's information and our address incase Evie falls ill. She's been really poorly recently and we've had to contact the 'Out Of Hours' Doctor a couple of times. When you ring them they need information like the address you're at, your child's date of birth and which surgery they are registered with. Even though it is likely that family will be looking after Evie, they might not know this information off the top of their head and sometimes in unexpected situations it is sometimes helpful to have things written and to hand if anything happens.

Your child's routine can change from month to month. This will be another printable that we will print several blank copies of for quick use. Although things like Evie's bedtime routine is always the same, her food is different everyday and she can sometimes decide to change when she is waking up altogether! I created this routine planner to cover EVERY detail more to give myself peace of mind as well as to really help the babysitter. With Evie, she has two toys and a favourite book that immediately soothes her. I will be including this information to help if she cries and to give the babysitter a bit more information of what she loves to play with. 
BABY ESSENTIALS
The box will also have nappies, wipes, nappy sacks, calpol, a bib and muslin square in it. These are all the essential things we need every day and it is easier to get them ready and altogether so that they babysitter doesn't need to go in search for all of them. I don't know about the rest of you, but in our house all of our things are in different and specific places. Sometimes I even have to leave things out for Jamie because he STILL asks which drawer things are in. Perhaps I should make a 'DADDY'S BOX' for when he's home. 

FOOD & DRINK
The last time my Mum and Paps came to look after Evie, one of them ended up popping out for snacks. We had completely forgotten to tell them where our snack drawer was and that they could help themselves to anything! How rude of us! I also know from previous baby-sitting experience how awkward it is when somebody tells you to help yourself to food and you feel really strange rummaging through their cupboards. So I've decided to include some snacks in the box. If I have time I'll probably cater this to whoever is baby-sitting by including their favourite biscuits or chocolate etc. We'll also print this out and put it on top of the snacks so that they know that they're all for them!
A GUIDE TO OUR HOUSE
I don't know about you, but our TV can be pretty complicated. Some houses have one remote, some have several. In our house our TV, Computer and everything else is connected up to the same sound output and remote control. But we have a lot of settings that we have to go through if we want to watch a film on the computer rather than the TV. To save explaining it to the babysitter, because sometimes it can take a while and sometimes people don't understand things first time around, I'm including a 'print out' guide to our TV. We'll probably leave it at that, but if somebody is coming over for longer than just the evening, we'll probably have to leave more information on how and where to sterilise bottles and how other appliances work.

Jamie thinks I am very sad to have done all of this! I think I am being super organised and prepared. I'm sure he won't be saying that if we both get caught at work one day and somebody needs to quickly take Evie! But I genuinely think that this box will be REALLY HELPFUL! Especially if we need a last minute baby-sitter who has NEVER looked after Evie before.

If you like this, be sure to check out our EMERGENCY CAR BREAKDOWN KIT! 


This post is linked up with...
Mami 2 Five

23 comments

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea! if only we went out on more date nights though. Great post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I must admit, it's even great for emergencies! My partner recently had a car crash & I had to rush out. I literally just gave the box to my mum & ran out the door. I didn't need to explain Evie's routine or any information about her or our house. It is so so so handy. I couldn't recommend making one enough! Even if it's just stored in a cupboard somewhere getting dusty. At least you know that your LO will be ok if you need to leave. :-) x

      Delete
  2. This is a fantastic idea!!! Definitely the kind of thing I would do....in fact I think you've inspired me to go sort one out right now!!

    X Becca

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great idea & a great timesaver. I will be making one of my own for sure x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so great for emergencies as well! It really helps you stop worrying about if you've given enough information. x

      Delete
  4. Your blog is amazing, I LOVE this idea! I think it would be really handy especially adding a new baby to the mix soon. It gives you a little bit more control over how they are handled as well as I know that my in laws don't always stick to the routine/food we ask them to.
    You are totally amazing for doing this! Definitely making one up next time we go out x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It really does give you that bit more control & such peace of mind when you're out :-) x

      Delete
  5. What a good idea! I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be a good idea in our house because I know that chocolate would call to Rob all the time, and I'd be replacing it more than we'd need a babysitter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I normally have to get the biscuits the day we're going on our date because Jamie is the same. :-D too tempting! xx

      Delete
  6. Fantastic idea. Even if we have time to explain, it's often too much information to absorb so quickly. I especially like the snacks for the babysitter. I have spend many a hungry evening in the past, desperate for snacks but too shy to grab something.

    #sundaystars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That's partly why I made it, we explained our tv once to Jamie's mum & when we came back she was sat reading a book because she'd not absorbed what we'd said. I felt so awful. We usually just use or parents or siblings to babysit but I know that a few of them wouldn't want to rummage through our cupboards (even if we say they should), but would feel so much more comfortable eating stuff left especially for them. :-D xx

      Delete
  7. What a brilliant idea. It means you can relax on your day/night out knowing your babysitter has everything they need. I often mind friends' children and I would love them to have something like this. Sometimes there's so much information the parents need to pass on, it can be worrying for the sitter in case anything gets forgotten! #SundayStars
    Debbie
    www.myrandommusings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It really does give you complete peace of mind. The first time we left Evie we didn't have this & kept ringing my mum saying 'oh I forgot to tell you this' 'oh and this...' She found it so funny because she has had 3 children before & knows how to look after a baby. But at least we know, even if the sitter doesn't read the information, that they are armed with everything about our little one. :-D xx

      Delete
  8. I love this idea, in fact I love it so much I may have to copy it!! Thank you so much for linking up to Sunday Stars xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :-D Good luck making yours! It definitely gives you peace of mind when you're out that you haven't forgotten to tell them everything xx

      Delete
  9. What a fantastic idea..and definitely something I'm going to look into doing, especially with another one due shortly! Oh... when can I babysit at your house? I love fruit shortcake biscuits! #sundaystars x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :-D haha. It really is worth doing. It gives you such peace of mind in case of emergencies or so you know you haven't forgotten to tell your sitter anything. :-D We get the snacks on the day though, if they're left around Jamie just eats them all. x

      Delete
  10. I love love love this!! I need one in my life. I might arrange a date night JUST so I can make one of these ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :-D Haha you really should! x

      Delete
  11. Such a fantastic idea. We usually leave things like nappies, wipes and a guide to our TV but I've never thought about health information as it's usually family that babysit. They probably wouldn't know that type of information.
    #sundaystars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the same with us, it's normally family that babysit. But my daughter was a little bit croupy once before & we needed a babysitter for a separate emergency. I left her health information incase her croup got worse & we couldn't get back in time. I also think, if any accidents do happen, it's so easy to panic & forget things, even if you already know the information. Having it written down means you won't ever forget. :-) x

      Delete
  12. You are so right about the helping yourself to snacks, I always felt so much better when snacks were left out for me :) #sundaystars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. It's a bit daunting rummaging through someone elses cupboards. Even if they are family xx

      Delete