SEND A MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE

Sunday 15 February 2015

I finally got to cross the 'send a message in a bottle' off my bucket list! I've always wanted to write a message in a bottle, drop it in the sea and see how far it will go.

My best friend Megan and I found...


...these adorable little bottles for £2 in Sainsbury's. You can find them in most Supermarkets and homeware shops. I think that they make a great present to a loved one as well on Valentines day/anniversaries/birthdays. 

I found out that the first ever record of a message in a bottle being released was in 310 BC!! In our history, messages sent in bottles were a really important way of communication during times of war and peril. Queen Elizabeth the first actually used this way to communicate with her navy and threatened the death penalty to anyone who opened a bottle that washed ashore. She employed an 'Uncorker Of Ocean Bottles' specifically for this job. That's crazy! 

It was a lot harder than we thought to write a message. I decided to write the message from my family and created an email address so that anyone who finds it has the option to write back to us to tell us where they found it, the date they did and where they're from.  I also included one of my favourite quotes on the other side of the letter. I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan so mine was a quote by the legendary fictional character Albus Wolferick Brian Dumbledore (don't laugh!):
I'm not going to include a picture of the letter because I'd like to keep it personal for whoever eventually finds it! 

Megan had had quite a tragic week when we did this. I was hoping this might be helpful for her. The note that she wrote was really touching. I think writing and discarding messages is a really personal way of sharing a part of your soul with a complete stranger. You have no idea who might open that bottle. You never know if it may help somebody or if it may just brighten someone's day.

No comments

Post a Comment